Sunday, May 2, 2010

Goals prior to final submission

So after my first full night ever in the SIG lab, I managed to pull off my presentation pretty well, I think.  I even ran a live demo, playing against John, and nothing broke. (!!)

Post-presentation, I've still got about a week to wrap this project up.  Here's what I'm hoping to get done in that time:
  • (bug) Fix/rework the way user logout is recorded in the database... right now I keep finding that users are still marked logged-in when I don't think they are.  (At least login is working right, I think!)
  • (bug) Make sure the "player __ won!" popup works for all players.  I seem to remember a couple of test runs in which only one out of two players saw it when someone had won.
  • (feature) Show each player's current x- and y-velocity somewhere next to their picture.  This should be really easy to do and would be helpful to see.
  • ("feature") Write the About and Help pages (including gameplay instructions)
  • (enhancement) Spruce up the (logged-out) intro page and the main page with a short intro to the gameplay.
  • (enhancement) I kind of forgot to implement preventing players from occupying the same grid point at the same time.  This also should be extremely easy to implement.
  • (bug?) I just today played the game against a friend and we ran into the case in which both of us were out of bounds at the same time.  I think there might have briefly been a mix-up regarding displaying the move options for one of us.  (Gameplay still proceeded properly though, I think.)  So I should test this again and fix if needed.
  • (bug) I nearly forgot this one... but I really should do something about the case of players running off the edge of the entire grid.  Apparently this happens more easily in my online version than on grid paper with a pencil, haha.  (See previous blog post.)
  • (enhancement) Show more clearly when another player takes their move.  I'm thinking I should highlight the position circle they've chosen for about a second prior to turning off those circles and showing their piece in the new position.
  • ("enhancement") Write some back-logged blog posts.
I don't think any of these changes are too major, and none of them significantly change the gameplay, which was certainly functional by presentation time.

Will update this list if I think of anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment